Campus Advisories

GW classes canceled; administrative and academic offices closed on March 5

05:10am, Thursday, March 05, 2015

GW classes are canceled, administrative and academic offices are closed, and activities and events will not take place on Thursday, March 5 at all of our Washington metropolitan area campuses and locations because of inclement weather throughout the region.

When the university declares a change to its operating status, employees classified as Designated On-Site are required to report to and/or remain at work, employees classified as Essential are generally expected to telecommute, and employees classified as Non-Essential are not required to work unless directed to do so by a supervisor.

Visit for information about changes to university services.


Federal Work Study Program

The Federal Work Study (FWS) program is a federally-funded work program that allows GW students who have received a Federal Work Study award from the Office of Student Financial Assistance to earn money through a part-time job during the academic year. The positions are part of pre-approved organizations, including GW departments, local nonprofits, government agencies and community service employers.

Graduate students who wish to receive Federal Work Study must first go through the Office of Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships.

Students who are awarded Federal Work Study are not required to participate in the program; however, if you do not, you will not receive your FWS award funds.

Job Availability

The number of Federal Work Study job openings vary from year to year. It is possible to find a FWS job late in the fall semester or early in the spring semester, but it is recommended that you work to find a position during the first few weeks of the fall semester.

You are allowed to have only one FWS job at a time, although you may have an additional on-campus non-FWS job. 

Hiring Process


First, supply your new employer with an Employment Authorization Form (EAF), which you may download from your GWeb account.

After you are offered a FWS position:

  • New GW employees will need to fill out the online I-9 form and the 2014-2015 Domestic Student Employment Forms packet (PDF) and deliver it to us in Marvin Center 505 after you receive email instructions from the Student Employment staff.
  • Returning GW employees: You will need to update your direct deposit form (if changing bank accounts) and tax forms (if changing deductions or addresses) as needed.
  • Students under the age of 18 must have a Work Authorization in order to be employed in the District of Columbia.

Please note that the Center for Career Services staff members cannot legally advise you on how to complete tax forms or estimate how much tax you will have to pay. You may use several online resources if you need assistance:

GW Departments or Approved Off-Campus Employers

Review the employer hiring process for Federal Work Study positions before you offer a position to a student.

Questions about Federal Work Study?

If you have a question about the Federal Work Study program at GW, contact our student employment staff at