Federal Work Study Program
The Federal Work Study (FWS) program is a federally-funded work program that allows GW students who have received a Federal Work Study award from the Office of Student Financial Assistance to earn money through a part-time job during the academic year. The positions are part of pre-approved organizations, including GW departments, local nonprofits, government agencies and community service employers.
Graduate students who wish to receive Federal Work Study must first go through the Office of Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships.
Students who are awarded Federal Work Study are not required to participate in the program; however, if you do not, you will not receive your FWS award funds.
The number of Federal Work Study job openings vary from year to year. It is possible to find a FWS job late in the fall semester or early in the spring semester, but it is recommended that you work to find a position during the first few weeks of the fall semester.
You are allowed to have only one FWS job at a time, although you may have an additional on-campus non-FWS job.
First, supply your new employer with an Employment Authorization Form (EAF), which you may download from your GWeb account.
After you are offered a FWS position:
- New GW employees will need to fill out the online I-9 form and the 2016-2017 Domestic Student Employment Forms packet (PDF) and deliver it to us in Marvin Center 505 after you receive email instructions from the Student Employment staff.
- Returning GW employees: You will need to update your direct deposit form (if changing bank accounts) and tax forms (if changing deductions or addresses) as needed.
- Students under the age of 18 must have a Work Authorization in order to be employed in the District of Columbia.
Please note that the Center for Career Services staff members cannot legally advise you on how to complete tax forms or estimate how much tax you will have to pay. You may use several online resources if you need assistance:
- Tax Information for Students (IRS)
- Tax Withholding (IRS)
- Tax Tips for Students (College Board) (PDF)
- How to fill out a W-4 (Young Money)
GW Departments or Approved Off-Campus Employers
Review the employer hiring process for Federal Work Study positions before you offer a position to a student.