Paychecks & Time Tracking

Report Your Hours

Use Kronos, GW’s timekeeping system, to keep track of the hours you work. Students with multiple positions must be very careful to clock in appropriately. To determine which positions are primary and secondary consult your GWeb employment information. Be sure to keep a notebook or other written record of your work schedule.

If you forget to clock in or out, inform your supervisor immediately. It is a violation of the terms of your employment to misuse the Kronos Time Reporting System and/or misrepresent your work hours and can result in termination and/or disciplinary action through GW’s student conduct process and the GW Police Department.

Payroll Services has provided video tutorials on how to clock in and out of Primary and Secondary positions using the Kronos Time Reporting System (TRS).

Students with Federal Work Study (FWS) awards:  Your schedule for your Federal Work Study position will be determined by you and your supervisor, but will typically include eight to ten hours per week and cannot exceed your FWS award.


Students who work on campus and at approved off-campus sites (Federal Work Study positions only) will receive a university-issued paycheck every other Friday during the academic year.  View the payroll calendar to see pay periods and pay dates. Students who hold multiple positions will only receive one paycheck.

Students with Federal Work Study (FWS) awards: Your paycheck can be used in any way you would like, however, please note that the funds will not automatically go to reducing your student account balance.

Direct Deposit

It is strongly recommended that you sign up for direct deposit so that your paycheck can be electronically deposited into your bank account.

To sign up for direct deposit, fill out the direct deposit form and deliver it to the Center for Career Services in Marvin Center 505.

Direct deposit can take up to two pay periods to take effect, but you will receive paper paychecks in the mean time. You will receive an email notification from the university’s payroll system when your first paycheck is electronically deposited.

Paper Checks

If you work on campus or through the off-campus FWS program and do not have direct deposit, pick up your paycheck from the Center for Career Services in the Marvin Center, Suite 505 Monday-Thursday 11:00am-2:00pm and Friday 10:00am-4:00pm. You must show photo identification to pick up your paycheck. Paper checks that are within a month from expiring will be sent back to Payroll Services and then mailed to your permanent home address.


All on-campus positions are subject to federal and local taxation. You must complete the federal and local tax forms in your student employment packet, as well as the Employment Eligibility Verification (I-9) form before beginning work.

Federal Work Study:  Monitor Your Earnings

For those students with Federal Work Study, your total available funds are calculated by adding your Fall and Spring award amounts.  This total is available to use at any time during the FWS program and is not limited by semester. When you use up your FWS funds, you can no longer work under the FWS program. Consult with your employer to see if they have a budget to hire you directly as a regular wage account employee.

Check your GWeb account regularly to see if anything about your FWS award has changed and inform your employer immediately if changes have been made. You may need to adjust the number of hours you are working to avoid exceeding your award.