Cooperative Education (Co-op)
Cooperative Education (Co-op) is an educational program administered through the Center for Career Services (CCS) which integrates academic study with career-related, professional experience. It is a mutually beneficial partnership between the university, students and employers.
|Fall 2017||Winter Extension||Spring 2017||Summer 2017|
|Applications Accepted Starting:||August 7, 2017||coming soon||December 13, 2016||April 24, 2017|
|Application Forms Deadline:||October 30, 2017||coming soon||March 14, 2017||July 17, 2017|
|Learning Reflection & Evaluation Deadline: (must be registered to submit)||December 11, 2017||Not Required||May 1, 2017||August 28, 2017|
Students may obtain paid or unpaid work experience. The Center for Career Services (CCS) will approve paid or unpaid positions. If the position is unpaid, the CCS will only approve positions that the supervisor attests meet the U.S. Department of Labor 6-point unpaid experience test.
Students are required to:
- submit all applications, offer letters, reflection materials, and any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- work at least 10 weeks or 100 hours
- complete and submit to CCS a GW Co-op Student Application which requests general contact information and includes strict deadlines each semester for Co-op applications
- complete prior to the work period a GW Co-op Student Learning Agreement to identify student learning objectives
- complete and submit to the CCS a GW Co-op Student Learning Reflection document at the end of the Co-op work period to demonstrate learning
Note for international students: the Co-op Enrollment Memoranda will be printed when the Co-op application is accepted; students will receive an email when the Memorandum becomes available in the CCS. Please allow for two (2) business days for processing.
Employers are required to:
- complete and submit a GW Co-op Employer Agreement to the CCS, and to provide an educational experience for Co-op the student
- attest that the work meets the U.S. Department of Labor 6-point unpaid experience test
- complete and submit a GW Co-op Supervisor Evaluation of the Co-op student at the end of the work period
Updated November 14, 2016