For Faculty & Staff
Here at GW, many faculty and staff continuously advise students on their academic, professional development, and personal journeys. All faculty and staff may refer to this page to best provide students with the pertinent professional development resources and information, to ensure your students' continued success.
Professional Development Resources
Here are common resources GW faculty and staff can share with students. All materials can be found in Handshake.
The Center for Career Services offers a wide range of individualized and group career education services, including career coaching, interview prep, networking support, and resume & cover letter reviews. Through dozens of events and programs per year, students can attend various alumni and employer events, and gain access to important information for their career exploration journey. The Center supports students of all backgrounds and affinity communities in finding career satisfaction through access to coaching support and employer connections.
- Career Coaching
- Exploring Interests, Values and Career & Major Options
- Administering and interpreting career assessments (CliftonStrengths, Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Strong Interest Inventory)
- Bring us to your class for 30-75 minutes! Designed for first and second year students, we will provide a foundational knowledge of core professional skills, including resume building, interviewing, finding an internship, developing an online profile, networking, and Clifton Strengths or Strong Interest Inventory.
- Defining Career Goals within Particular Industries or Sectors
- Business, Finance, Consulting, and Economics
- Healthcare & Health Services
- International Government & Policy, Diplomacy, Intelligence, &International Development
- School of Nursing
- Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math
- U.S. Politics, Education, Social Impact, Arts, Media, and Communications
- Bring us to your class for 30 - 50 minutes! Designed for juniors, seniors, and graduate students, we will tailor an industry specific presentation. This can include industry-specific resume writing (consulting & finance, art & design, IT, healthcare, etc.), behavioral and case interview prep, employer/alumni panels or events, teambuilding skills through the MBTI, or propose your own professional development program.
- Workshops & Classroom Presentations
We welcome opportunities to partner with faculty and staff in order to present to your student group or class. We can be flexible in allotting simply 10-minutes to review our resources or take the entire class time to delve more deeply into a topic of your choosing. Request more information or a workshop by filling out this form.
Please note the following regarding program requests:
- We ask for a minimum attendance of at least 10 participants for the program
- A staff member will contact you within 72 hours after the form is submitted
- Please allow at least 10 business days prior to your event date to process this request.
- Student Employment
Student Employment is main unit in the Center for Career Services, supporting on-campus student employees and Federal Work Study students with opportunities for working both on and off campus. Learn more about Student Employment.
- Employer Services
The Employer Services Team works with recruiting organizations providing relevant services to connect them to GW students and alumni. Additionally, the team manages the online job listing, as well as the on-campus interviewing (OCI) programs, career and job fairs, industry expos, employer information sessions and site visits. Learn more about Employer Services.