Our professional career coaches have extensive experience working with students in career development, employment advising, internship preparation, interview skills, and document preparation. Career coaching is available for all degree-seeking GW students and alumni through either the Center for Career Services or through individual school-based career centers.
Schedule a Coaching Appointment
If you are a student, you may schedule a meeting with a career coach through the Handshake profile. Alumni who had Handshake accounts can still schedule appointments through Handshake. Alumni without a Handshake account can call us at 202-994-6495 to schedule an appointment.
Scheduling appointments in Handshake:
- Log in to Handshake
- Click on Career Center
- Select “Appointments” and “Schedule a New Appointment.”
- Select an appointment based on what you’d like to discuss
For questions regarding Handshake, please contact us at [email protected].
Types of Appointments
Our career exploration and assessment coaches can provide guidance and support in:
- Identifying your interests, skills, and values
- Exploring academic major and career options
- Developing your resume, cover letter, and LinkedIn profile to help you communicate skills and experiences
- Understanding how to approach the internship and job search processes
- Reviewing assessments including the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, CliftonStrengths, and the Strong Interest Inventory
For students who have a good understanding of the sector, industry, and roles they are targeting or for a student who is exploring careers, but has questions about a specific career field.
Our industry career coaches provide:
- Internship and targeted job search strategy
- Personal branding and networking
- Interview preparation
- Advanced resume and cover letter review
Meet with a career coach to discuss going to graduate and professional school. You can develop short and long-term strategies for applications, and get specialized support for specific programs. For additional support, connect with the GW Writing Center, The Center for Undergraduate Fellowships and Research, and pre-professional academic advising.
Meet with peer advisors and staff to review your resume and cover letter, update your Handshake profile, discuss your networking strategy, and gain access to the student-to-alumni networking platform, GW Career Connect.
Meet with a career coach to:
- Prepare for interviews including general behavioral questions, and specialized sessions for finance, case interviews, and technical interviews
- Evaluate and understand job offers
- Learn how to approach salary negotiation
Meet with a Career Ambassador or Career Coach during drop-in hours to review your resume, cover letter or application for a part-time job, internship or campus leadership position.
Spring 2024: Drop-in hours are available Monday - Friday from 1:00PM - 3:00PM.
Industry Career Newsletters
Sign up for online newsletters produced by the Industry Career Coaches in the Center for Career Services & stay informed of the latest events, resources, internships, jobs & more in your field of interest:
- Arts, Design, Media, Communications & Public Relations
- Business, Finance, Consulting & Economics
- International Government & Policy, Diplomacy, Intelligence & International Development
- Public Health, Health Sciences, Nursing & Medicine
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Math
- U.S. Government & Policy, NGO, Education, Human Services & Law
- The Career Exploration Navigator