Develop Your Leadership Skills
Your leadership skills are an essential part of your career development and can help you determine your career path. There are several ways to develop your leadership skills during your college experience. If you’re working on your Career Success Plan, you’ll need to complete two foundational activities in the leadership section.
Actions you can take to build your leadership skills include:
- Join one or more of the 400+ student organizations at GW
- Participate in community service
- Obtain a part-time job or Federal Work Study position
- Attend the Center for Student Engagement’s annual Student Leadership Symposium
- Complete GW Bound, an outdoor leadership program
Advance Your Leadership Skills
As you strengthen your leadership skills, apply to and obtain internships and jobs that are related to your industry interests.
Advanced steps that you can take to hone your leadership skills include:
- Secure a leadership position or lead a project/activity in your student organization
- Join and participate in a professional society or association as a student member
- Attend industry-specific programming to hear from experts in your field on how being a leader can take you far in your career