Follow Student Employment

Join in on the conversation with us on Facebook & Twitter for more news, tips, and resources!

On-Campus Part-Time Jobs

Fall 2018 New Student Access to Handshake

Welcome to GW! Admitted and registered students with claimed NetID’s will be granted access to Handshake during the first week of July 2018. Students will receive an email from [email protected] with their login information. Please note: your username will be your @GWU.EDU email address and your password will be your email (single sign-on) password.

Handshake logo

All current GW full-time degree-seeking students may use Handshake to search and apply for on-campus student employment jobs including.  All incoming full-time degree-seeking students are automatically registered in Handshake and receive an account a few weeks prior to their first semester. GW Employers, please visit the Hiring Process for Departments page.

Hiring Process

After you are offered a position:

  • New GW employees will need to fill out the online I-9 form and the  Domestic Student Employment Checklist (PDF) or International Student Forms Packet and deliver it to us in Marvin Center 505.  You receive email instructions from the Student Employment  When your hire has been submitted. Be prepared to provide original documentations for your I-9 Form.
  • Returning GW employees: You will need to update your direct deposit form (if changing bank accounts) and tax forms (if changing deductions or addresses) as needed.
  • Students under the age of 18 must have a Work Permit in order to be employed in the District of Columbia.

Please note that the Center for Career Services staff members cannot legally advise you on how to complete tax forms or estimate how much tax you will have to pay. You may use several online resources if you need assistance:


Student Employment at GW for Non-FWS Students

Please note: this video mentions a job-posting platform called GWork, which is being replaced by Handshake this summer. Check your email for Handshake access information in mid-July.

Student Employment at GW for International Students

Please note: