Non-FWS Positions

What is A Non-FWS Position?

How Can I Get a Non-FWS Position?

I Was Offered A Non-FWS Position! What Now?

When Can I Start Working

I'm Under 18

What Is A Non-FWS Position?

A Non-FWS position is a student position that does not require a to Federal Work Study award. If you are unsure whether you were awarded Federal Work Study as part of your financial aid package, please contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance. All students are eligible to hold a Non-FWS position, provided that they are eligible to work within the U.S.

You may work for any GW department, office, institute, or center. Positions include research, administrative assistant, project assistant, communications and marketing, tutoring, and more.

How Can I Get A Non-FWS Position?

Like all student positions, Non-FWS positions are most easily found through Handshake. Try using search filters to look for the job type "on-campus student employment".

Most employers search for students to fill positions close to the beginning of the Fall semester each year, but there are opportunities posted throughout the year as the need arises. Keep in mind that as the school year progresses, it becomes more difficult to find a position.

If you are interested in working for a specific department or organization, you may consider reaching out to that department with a well-worded, polite email expressing your interest and inquiring whether any Non-FWS positions may become available soon. Another great way to find out about Non-FWS positions is through your network. Talk to friends and classmates to ask whether they have a Non-FWS position in an office that might be looking to hire more students.

Students are strongly encouraged to stop by the Center for Career Services or make an appointment with a Career Coach through Handshake for help with resumes, cover letters, and interview preparation to make sure you're putting your best foot forward on each application. The Center for Career Services also has a service called VMock that automatically checks your resume for simple things like formatting. It is a very useful tool that you can use to get immediate feedback on your resume. Making sure you are prepared for the application process will increase your chances of success in finding a position.

I Was Offered A Non-FWS Position! What Now?

Once an employer has offered you a Non-FWS position, there are still a number of things that have to be done before you may start working:

  • The employer who wishes to hire you must give you an offer letter with your new position and wage information. Sign the offer letter using your physical signature or an official Adobe E-Signature (typed cursive fonts are not acceptable) and return it to them.
  • Once you have returned the signed offer letter and the FWS PSS to your employer, they will submit a hire request online to Student Employment.
  • You will receive instructions via email from Student Employment about what is required from you during the hiring process. This may include a background check, an I-9 form, and/or updated tax forms.
    • All new student employees will be required to complete section 1 and 2 of the federal Form I-9. This will require you to show, in person, required documentation. Per federal requirements, we must see original (not scanned or copied) documents when you complete the form in our office.  

STUDENTS UNDER 18 will need a DC Work Permit before beginning work. Please download and complete the Instructions and the Work Permit Application.

BEFORE YOU START WORKING, you must receive notice from Student Employment that you have been completely hired and are allowed to start working. Even if you have completed all necessary paperwork, you are not yet cleared to begin unless you have been specifically notified by us. This notification will come to your GW email account and will contain the words "OFFICIAL NOTICE" in the subject line, and instructions on how to record your hours in the body. If you started working before you have received that notice - STOP! Please get in touch with our office so that we can help you and your supervisor complete the necessary paperwork before you continue working.